If you suspect any fraudulent activity, please contact us immediately:
How Firstrade Protects Your Data
By providing you with the information included on our site we hope that you have gained a better understanding of the potential hazards the internet holds, and how to protect against them. We also trust that your experience with Firstrade's online trading platform will be an outstanding one.
What We Do To Protect Your Account:
We use protected servers & advanced technology
We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal standards to guard your personal information. We protect your account information by placing it on the secure portion of our website and use industrial strength firewalls and encryption technology to protect personal information on our computer systems.
We provide you a secured site to place your trades
Our servers have been enabled with Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to prevent unauthorized parties from viewing your nonpublic personal information that you provide or access during a secure session. In addition, we employ digital certificate services to encrypt the information exchanged between you and Firstrade.com. Firstrade also uses an additional factor of authentication (PIN) to provide another layer of safety to your account access.
We restrict access to Information
Account and personal information is only accessible to employees who are authorized. Additionally, our employees receive extensive training on the handling of personal financial information and are continuously monitored.
We safeguard your Information
To minimize the risk of fraudulent activity in your account and to remain eligible for this protection, it is your responsibility to take these necessary precautions:
- Safely Navigate the Internet: Practice good habits by following online security tips and taking time to keep yourself informed about new threats. Please visit our Security Center for additional details about using the Internet safely.
- Review Your Accounts Regularly: Regularly review your account and transaction history for all financial accounts. If you discover any unauthorized account activity, you must contact Firstrade immediately to be eligible for the Online Protection Guarantee.
- Reduce the Risk of Lost or Stolen Financial Records: Paper statements can be lost or stolen while electronic statements and trade confirmations can be accessed securely on Firstrade.com. Maintain your financial documents in a secure location, and carefully dispose of any documents that contain financial or other confidential information.
- Protect Your Computer: Please ensure that any computer you use to access your Firstrade account has the most current version of anti-virus, firewall, and anti-spyware software installed. Also, routinely install security updates and patches for your operating system and keep your Internet browser up-to-date in order to utilize the most current security technologies.
- Smart Password Management: Smart password management is critical when conducting transactions through the Internet. Security professionals recommend routinely changing your Passwords and use a combination of numbers, upper/lowercase letters and other characters if possible. Don’t share your account access information with anyone, because sharing your UserID, Password, or account number means you authorize them to take action in your account and may invalidate the Guarantee.
- Public Access Terminals & WiFi: It’s best to avoid using public computers (hotels, libraries, etc.) since they may contain malicious software designed to defraud you. If you must use a public computer, closely monitor your account afterwards. Your information may be vulnerable when you log into your account on an unsecured wireless network, whether at home or in a public area. Some wireless networks in public areas reduce their security, making it easier for individuals (and fraudsters) to access and use these networks.
- Keep Emails Personal: Don't share personal information via email. We will never ask you for your password or personal information via email or send such information via email. If you forget account access information or need specific account help, our customer support team will verify your identity and then help you to gain access to your account.
- Keep Contact Information Current: Ensure that your contact information with Firstrade is always current. Whether email, phone, or address, Firstrade needs to maintain current information in order to contact you in case of emergency.
The Firstrade Online Protection Guarantee - How It Works
In addition to the above steps, you must frequently check your account information and promptly review correspondences, account statements, and confirmations as they are made available to you, but no later than 30 days after the information is posted to your account or delivered to you. You must immediately contact and report to Firstrade if you suspect any unauthorized account activity, errors, discrepancies, lose the device you normally use to contact us, or if you have not received your account statements. You must also maintain up-to-date contact information with us so that you may continue to receive our important communications and to ensure that we can contact you in case of suspected unauthorized activity.
We will ask for your cooperation with our investigation if your account is compromised. Additional steps may include, but are not limited to, filing a police report, completing a notarized affidavit regarding the unauthorized transactions, cooperating and answering questions from Firstrade personnel and law enforcement authorities, allowing access to the computer or other access device that is suspected of being compromised, and signing a release form. We may also require for you to promptly change your User ID and password, installing or updating anti-virus, anti-spyware or firewall software, and/or updating your computer's operating systems and/or browser.
Our Online Protection Program is subject to the terms and conditions below.
Terms & Conditions - Online Protection Guarantee
Firstrade will restore your account prior to the unauthorized transactions if we conclude that there was unauthorized activity resulting in a loss with reasonable steps taken to protect your information as outlined in our Online Protection Guarantee. This guarantee does not cover situations in which you fail to take reasonable precautions to protect your personal information.
We will accept and process transactions initiated using your account number and password. This Guarantee does not cover situations in which you choose to give your account number and/or password to another person or a third-party entity, including: (1) the activities of any person to whom you have given, or with whom you have shared, your User ID, Password or account number, and (2) the activities of any person, including an investment advisor or professional (its employees and agents), to whom you have granted authority of any type over your account (such as power of attorney, trading or money movement authorization or an investment management relationship).
We may require that you take additional steps including, but not limited to, filing a police report, completing a notarized affidavit regarding the unauthorized transactions, cooperating and answering questions from Firstrade personnel and law enforcement authorities, and allowing access to the computer or other access device that is suspected of being compromised. As part of our investigation, we may require that you take additional steps including, but not limited to changing your account number and password, installing or updating anti-spyware, antivirus or firewall software, and/or updating your computer's browser and/or operating system. Firstrade also may ask you to assign to us certain rights you may have regarding your loss and sign a release form as a condition of reimbursement. You may not otherwise assign your rights under this Online Protection Guarantee to any other individual or party.
Any reimbursement under this Online Protection Guarantee is limited to direct losses from your account and does not include any tax consequences, legal fees and expenses, or any consequential, lost opportunity, special, indirect, incidental, punitive, exemplary or non-monetary damages.
Firstrade determines the type and the amount of the reimbursement, including whether to replace the securities in your account that were taken, and may seek restitution for reimbursements made under this guarantee from the person(s) or entity that committed the unauthorized activity. We may not provide reimbursement if you are reimbursed, or eligible for reimbursement or other coverage, by others for the unauthorized transactions; for example, by your insurance company.
This Guarantee does not cover unauthorized activities resulting from breach of security in third-party systems, such as your workplace, employer, public networks and terminals or any website where you have accessed your account or shared your account number and/or password. Likewise, this guarantee does not cover situations in which you fail to take reasonable precautions to protect your private information. The guarantee does not cover the failure of third parties to maintain secure environments or security breaches. Firstrade is not liable for any additional losses stemming from your delay in reporting the unauthorized transactions. It is your responsibility to notify Firstrade immediately if you discover unauthorized account activity or you are a victim of fraud.
Unauthorized debit card transactions occurring on Firstrade-offered cards must be reported immediately to the bank who issued the debit card. The guarantee does not cover unauthorized debit card transactions and any claim for reimbursement for loss due to unauthorized debit card transactions is governed by your agreement with the issuing card company and by applicable law.
Unauthorized check writing transactions occurring with Firstrade-offered check writing features must be reported immediately to Firstrade. However, the guarantee does not cover unauthorized check writing transactions and any claim for reimbursement for loss due to unauthorized check writing transactions is governed by your agreement with Apex under Aepx FDIC-Insured Sweep Program and by applicable law.
If we delay or fail to enforce any term or condition in connection with this Online Protection Guarantee, that delay or failure will not affect or impair our rights to subsequently enforce and/or require that our customer comply with terms and conditions for reimbursement set forth in the Online Protection Guarantee.
The Online Protection Guarantee can be amended or terminated at any time without further notice. This Guarantee is governed under the laws of the State of New York.